Re: Batteries: single failed battery in the house bank, impact for other batteries

David Vogel

Thanks Alan,

The old start battery seems to be OOK in service. However, it appears that the battery that was paired with the failed one is also on the way out (if not already failed, just showing signs of life).

We are leaning towards replacing the whole lot with Fireflies, but this is introducing scheduling issues – namely, the clock it already ticking on our French Long-Stay visas, and if we don’t get away soon, the VISAs wil time-expire. Naming that we will have to move on (to NZ), where we might well have otherwise done the replacement anyway (if the current remaining batteries do not fail in the meantime).

Which Battery Balancer to you use (&/or recommend)?

Best,

David&Leanne, PERIGEE, SM#396, Panama
Bound for French Poly

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@hotmail.com>
Reply-To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Monday, 27 May 2019 at 2:14 am
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Batteries: single failed battery in the house bank, impact for other batteries

David.
I think it highly likely that the AGM start battery is not in the same state of charge as the house bank AGMs that have been charged quite differently. 
All house bank batteries should be the same brand, type and age to minimise differences in charging. Further I believe that if you have batteries in series parallel, the in between links should be connected in parallel banks and also with a battery balancer to ensure equal charging to each individual battery.
I'm afraid I agree with Bill, you should replace the complete house bank.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM 437

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.