From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Dan Carlson <carlsdan61@...>
Date: Thursday, 30 May 2019 at 2:05 pm
To: Bill Rouse <@billrouse>
Cc: <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Batteries: copper bars will not work - be sure that you have jumpers to wire the pairs in series

Regarding the thread on using the copper connecting bars versus cables to connect battery pairs: I had only one copper bar, connecting one of the pairs along the front of the box (BeBe has 12 batteries in 6 pairs).

There is another key benefit of cables: at the end of our 3rd season with the Deka batteries we had two batteries, in different pairs, develop internal shorts in the last month. With cables I was able to rematch the batteries into 5 new pairs without having to move all of the batteries around. And so far for the last month the new pairs we're all playing well together. I will be replacing to whole set in the fall.

Regards, Daniel Carlson on sv BeBe, SM 387

On Thu, May 30, 2019, 1:52 PM Bill Rouse <@billrouse wrote:
I do not think the copper bars will work on all of the pairs...I just do not remember. Maybe Dan Carlson (CC'd) can answer this. They might, but you need to be prepared with jumper wires.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970
My Calendar

Yacht School

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 1:44 PM David Vogel <david.vogel@...> wrote:
Hi Bill,

.> copper bars will not work

Whoa – this is a trap for the unwary! Why is this?

We have the copper bridging bars, for use with the threaded studs with nut. Naturally enough, if we add battery balancer/s then perhaps some other arrangement may be needed. But I was hoping to minimise any new work items just at the moment, aiming for drop-in bolt-in replacements.

David
Perigee, SM#396, Panama

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Rouse <@billrouse>
Date: Thursday, 30 May 2019 at 12:56 pm
To: <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Batteries: single failed battery in the house bank, impact for other batteries

Mark,

Yes, I thought so to. These DEKA batteries are nothing special...they are ordinary workhorses that should give you a minimum of 3 years. Be careful because they look like Freedom batteries. They are not. Check the water at appropriate intervals.

I found this Panama dealer by going to DEKA headquarters at Penn Battery. My client bought from them without any problems. I think that they delivered to Shelter Bay. Be sure that you are clear on the connections and that you have jumpers to wire the pairs in series. The copper bars will not work. There is no issue with fit as these are Group 31.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550