Re: autoprop zinc

jlm@jlmertz.fr

Dear Bill,

My remark is only that if you have a fault on the grounding system if you have an zinc cap on the propeller you loss the zinc and not the bronze of the Autoprop .... and so you easily can see that you have a problem on you grounding ....

JLM on CottonBay

Le 31/05/2019 à 15:21, CW Bill Rouse a écrit :

Mr MERTZ,

I am sure of what I said.

If your Gray Water Bilge Bonding Strap is not connected, and you experience any electrolysis to devices other than the Cast Iron Ballast, something else is wrong, possibly a break between the rudder anodes and the bonding system.

I recommend checking for continuity between anodes and propeller each time you haulout of the water. If you are in the water and suspect a problem, I suggest that you check for continuity between the top of the rudder post and the top of the C-Drive.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, May 31, 2019, 8:04 AM jlm@... <jlm@...> wrote:

Not sure !

I my case I detected the fault on the bonding strap in the grey water bilge by seeing the colour of the Autopro propeller .... and ... after repairing the bonding, the propeller haven't change his colour ....

JL MERTZ on CottonBay

Le 31/05/2019 à 14:20, CW Bill Rouse a écrit :
Mr. MERTZ,

When the copper Bonding Strap in the Gray Water Bilge fails, it is the Cast Iron Ballast on the Keel Stub that is at risk, NOT the Propeller.

The Propeller is protected by Amel bonding with the connection of a large yellow/green bonding wire connected to the C-Drive.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, May 31, 2019, 2:02 AM jlm@... <jlm@...> wrote:

After 15 years the main bonding in the lowest point in the black water box faille.

Then your Amel bonding system is NOT operating and the Autoprop is attacked ! his colour change !

JL MERTZ on CottonBay

Le 26/02/2019 à 15:06, CW Bill Rouse a écrit :
Yes H6 is correct, but Henri believed that only a plastic propeller hub should be used.

There are several reasons:
1.) The propeller is protected by the Amel Bonding system.
2.) When the AutoProp zinc deteriorates it is the attachment ears that go first. This causes off-balance and you can only use about 80% of the zinc.

AutoProp makes and recommends the zinc because they want the propeller protected and no other boat yard has a bonding system as good as Amel.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550