Re: Stuffing box drainage path

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi guys

 I am staggered at the equanimity with which you accept water ingress. At the first sign of seepage around either the bow thruster or the rudder shaft I fix it. If there is a biannual replacement of the thruster foam seals  an at sea change of the upper seal does it and likewise the stuffing box is a easy at sea fix. Regular maintenance of both reduces the chance of needing to do it at sea.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 08 June 2019 at 12:52 Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Kent,

I think Cream Puff was retrofitted. We have a pump in the area that collects water from the leaking bow-thruster area connected to a sensor and alarm. When the sensor kicks in the alarm sounds and the pump automatically pumps the water into the forward head shower pan that obviously makes its way to the bilge. The alarm can be silenced for those trips when the bow thruster seriously need new seals.

I particularly like this set up because no modification was made to the watertight bulkhead.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us