Re: Stuffing box drainage path

karkauai

Hi Danny,
If it’s leaking when we set out, I fix it.  If it starts leaking while on passage, (and it has done this twice in 10 years), I’ve just kept an eye on it until I get to port.  Both times it wasn’t a lot of water, but enough that I pumped it into the shower when it got to be a few liters..  that was still enough to get some outboard of the stringers when close-hauled.  Once in port I do the seal changes.

If anyone has ideas about how to remove the water that gets outboard of the stringers, I’m all ears.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM 243

On Jun 8, 2019, at 10:00 AM, karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai@...> wrote:

Thanks Mark.  I guess they drilled through the shower pan into the space below?  I have an alarm but have to pump by hand or with a 24v hand-held Pump.  So far the worst it’s been was 3-4 liters that collect in a couple of places that I can get to.  Some water collects outboard of the stringers if we’re heeled over, and there’s no way to get it out. I’d like to collect it in the forward cabin just aft of the bow thruster and pipe it directly into the drainage system that drains the forward AC condensate.
Has anyone tried that?
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Jun 7, 2019, at 8:52 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Kent,

I think Cream Puff was retrofitted. We have a pump in the area that collects water from the leaking bow-thruster area connected to a sensor and alarm. When the sensor kicks in the alarm sounds and the pump automatically pumps the water into the forward head shower pan that obviously makes its way to the bilge. The alarm can be silenced for those trips when the bow thruster seriously need new seals.

I particularly like this set up because no modification was made to the watertight bulkhead.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us