Re: Stuffing box drainage path

karkauai

Hi Danny,
If it’s leaking when we set out, I fix it.  If it starts leaking while on passage, (and it has done this twice in 10 years), I’ve just kept an eye on it until I get to port.  Both times it wasn’t a lot of water, but enough that I pumped it into the shower when it got to be a few liters..  that was still enough to get some outboard of the stringers when close-hauled.  Once in port I do the seal changes.

If anyone has ideas about how to remove the water that gets outboard of the stringers, I’m all ears.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM 243

On Jun 8, 2019, at 10:00 AM, karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai@...> wrote:

Thanks Mark.  I guess they drilled through the shower pan into the space below?  I have an alarm but have to pump by hand or with a 24v hand-held Pump.  So far the worst it’s been was 3-4 liters that collect in a couple of places that I can get to.  Some water collects outboard of the stringers if we’re heeled over, and there’s no way to get it out. I’d like to collect it in the forward cabin just aft of the bow thruster and pipe it directly into the drainage system that drains the forward AC condensate.
Has anyone tried that?
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Jun 7, 2019, at 8:52 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Kent,

I think Cream Puff was retrofitted. We have a pump in the area that collects water from the leaking bow-thruster area connected to a sensor and alarm. When the sensor kicks in the alarm sounds and the pump automatically pumps the water into the forward head shower pan that obviously makes its way to the bilge. The alarm can be silenced for those trips when the bow thruster seriously need new seals.

I particularly like this set up because no modification was made to the watertight bulkhead.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of karkauai via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, June 7, 2019 7:09 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Stuffing box drainage path

Can that change be retrofitted to a 1999 SM?

Kent Robertson

S/V Kristy

USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Jun 7, 2019, at 8:11 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Gary 

Late model SM Bow Thrusters do capture any sea water seepage and drain that to the gray water bilge. This change was done sometime in 2003.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019, 6:40 PM Gary Wells <gary@...> wrote:

My bow thruster will not leak to an exit to the bilge.  It will be stopped at the forward head where it must be dealt with manually.  If you have a situation where seawater has a direct path to the the engine room bilge (other than the anchor locker), I would say that it's not original (or I didn't read your statement correctly). ..  

Having a water alarm next to the rudder quadrant is a great idea.  I just have to hoist the bed once a month while we're parked, once a day while we are underway.

Gary W.
SM 209, Adagio
Maryland, USA

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.