Re: Standing rigging on 54

Porter McRoberts

JPG!
Many thanks for the advice and thoughts.
Very appreciated. We’re in fine shape to make it to New Zealand I think. Just looking ahead to the anticipated desire to get it done. So no pressure to do it here in Tahiti thank goodness. NZ seems like the place. But we’re considering also the potential hurricane pit in Fiji as a off season storage location. NZ is as enticing as the voyage there is off putting/crapshoot. As they say nothing points to weather like a 767.

Nimbus is captained by a man of iron! His crew of iron stomachs!  Please say hello to them. Your comments are quite welcome.

Thanks again JPG

Porter
Ibis A54-152
Tahiti

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Jun 10, 2019, at 11:15 AM, Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:

Hello Porter,

OPINION FOLLOWS:

There is a severe shortage of riggers in Tahiti; only 2 at last visit.  If you need a good one, I can offer Benoit Parnaudeau (+68987333956). (He captained a Vendee Globe solo racer and was the rigger for a famous Fr woman racer…name forgotten) The other rigger is even more expensive but also good!!!

I’d try to do it myself in Tahiti as their prices are INSANE.

IF you can wait, get it done in NZ; Opua, in the Bay of Islands is a great place and has all the services in situ, including the best chandler I’ve seen anywhere in the world (Cater Marine).  (The conditions should be fairly benign from Tahiti to Tonga then NZ)

Greetings from Matt/Molly/Lily/Henry/Avery in Nimbus docked near us in Savusavu, Fiji

Good luck

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM 007, Fiji.

On 11 Jun 2019, at 07:07, Porter McRoberts via Groups.Io <portermcroberts@...> wrote:

Dear Mohammad and Aty

Would you be willing to let me or us know the cost from ACMO?
This seems very tempting to do myself?  Then have a rigger double check.  A lot of work, yes but interesting and tempting!

Many thanks.

Porter

S/V IBIS 54-152
Tahiti.

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone
Www.fouribis.com

On Jun 6, 2019, at 11:19 PM, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

Thanks guys, it looks like if I order from ACMO then it is a straight swap. So that is what I will do.
I have thought hard about all this and at the end of the day I do not want to have that niggling feeling that my rigging is not up to it on a dark stormy night!
Nick
On 7 Jun 2019, at 11:42, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

Hello Nick;

We are currently going though the same process and we have just released the order to ACMO.

If ordered from ACMO, you will receive the entire parts required for the upgrade. This includes a “stronger” pin, as ACMO puts it, the turn buckles and threaded eye. I just again reconfirmed this with ACMO. If you look at your connections at the chain plates, the parts have an ACMO stamp on them.

Therefore according to ACMO, no other parts will be necessary, it is just a matter of removing the existing shrouds and installing new.

I will provide an update if we find anything that contradicts this during the install.

Respectfully;

Mohammad & Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099

On Jun 7, 2019, at 7:27 AM, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

Further to the news that the Amel 54 should have 12mm aft lowers not 10mm and that the intermediates should be beefed up from 8mm to 10mm. I am now seriously working this out.
On the face of it I can order the replacement wire and fittings from ACMO in France and have it a week later. What worries me is that the pin sizes will increase (I guess)
This should be no problem at the bottom where there is a massive chainplate that I could drill out to accept the bigger pins but at the top at the spreader bases it will be tricky.
Has anyone been there and done this project?
What about sticking to 8mm and 10 mm but upgrading the wire quality to say Dyform? Dyform offers about 30% more strength than standard 1x19?
Any experts out there?
Nick
S/Y Amelia AML54-019
Anchored in Kefalonia enjoying easy living after 2000 mile voyage from Canary Islands.