Re: Standing rigging on 54

Germain Jean-Pierre

Voyage to NZ from Tonga is not difficult. Weather window is key. The cost of rerig will be far cheaper in NZ!

We did the passage in 12 days with 6 days in North Minerva… we were supposed to catch loads of lobsters there… “they’ll jump aboard your dinghy” not so. :-)

I’ll pass your regards to Nimbus.

Cheers,

JPG

On 7 Jun 2019, at 16:26, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Further to the news that the Amel 54 should have 12mm aft lowers not 10mm and that the intermediates should be beefed up from 8mm to 10mm. I am now seriously working this out.
On the face of it I can order the replacement wire and fittings from ACMO in France and have it a week later. What worries me is that the pin sizes will increase (I guess)
This should be no problem at the bottom where there is a massive chainplate that I could drill out to accept the bigger pins but at the top at the spreader bases it will be tricky.
Has anyone been there and done this project?
What about sticking to 8mm and 10 mm but upgrading the wire quality to say Dyform? Dyform offers about 30% more strength than standard 1x19?
Any experts out there?
Nick
S/Y Amelia AML54-019
Anchored in Kefalonia enjoying easy living after 2000 mile voyage from Canary Islands.