Re: [Amel] Re:Engine replace

Jean Boucharlat

I beg to disagree… !

Yanmar is certainly not a bad engine but, during a one week hands-on Diesel
training course a couple years back, I had the opportunity to take apart and
rebuild both the Volvo TMD 22 and the Yanmar and it was quite obvious that
the Yanmar was much more lightly built than the Volvo. From the block itself
to the gudgeons holding it and any other parts, the Yanmar looked flimsy
once dismantled.

This being said I am certain that Yanmar, a competent company, did a good
job of designing and building this engine but it wasn’t meant originally for
marine use. It’s a car or light truck engine adapted for marine use.

As to the Volvo, in fact, there isn’t much Volvo in it as the block is
indeed an original Perkins block built in Japan by Kubota! But it’s, in my
opinion and experience, a good and reliable engine.

Now, Amel didn’t change over to Yanmar because of quality issues with Volvo,
they changed because of the lack of flexibility of Volvo in accommodating
special requests from Amel. In particular, a few years ago, they had a
problem getting Volvo to supply them with a rather unusual part, the small
caps used to plug the foundry holes (in French, my mother tongue, “trou de
fonderie”) that you find on the sides of the engine block. This was not very
surprising as the foundry work is done in Japan, probably by a subcontractor
of Kubota.

You may also know that Amel has gone back to Volvo for their 54.

I entirely agree, though, that Volvo parts are indeed outrageously
expensive.

Jean Boucharlat

Formerly SM 232 Satchimi

N.B. I’m not a Volvo employee, nor agent, nor in anyway related to Yanmar
and/or Volvo! Just a customer.