Re: Standing rigging on 54

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Roque;

The crack that we found was in the swagging and not in the wires. It was not considered a failure by either ACMO or our rigger. ACMO did acknowledge that at the time our rigging was swagged, they had an older machine that led to the crack and we were advised to simply keep an eye on it to make sure it does not get any bigger. The assumption was that the crack was there from day one.

However since we were going to upgrade the rest of the shrouds at the main, we decided to take care of this also so we don it have any questionable or potentially weak areas at the main.

We informed ACMO of the crack last month.

Mohammad & Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099

On Jun 11, 2019, at 3:44 PM, Roque via Groups.Io <ediroque@...> wrote:

Mohammad & Aty

I had a few cracked wires at the main too (#117). I reported this fact to ACMO in november 2018.
  Would you care to tell when you informed ACMO about this failure? Was it last year?

Thank you for you input.

Roque
Attika A54 - 117
Santos - Brazil

Em ter, 11 de jun de 2019 às 07:32, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> escreveu:
Hello Porter;

I hope you guys are doing well and the engine issues are now behind you.

We are replacing all 6 shrouds at the main because ACMO had a crack in one of the original long shrouds that we found in our rig inspection last year.

They did extend a 10% discount because of this so the total shipped to Corfu was 5000 euros.

Off course you only need to upgrade the mid and lower shrouds so your pricing will be less. I did receive a complete quote for all rigging that I will forward to you shortly.

I, like you, try to do everything I can myself, which is about 90%. It’s better to make a mistake and learn while help is available. However, the cruising season in the Med is short so I do elect to use known outside people if necessary so we get to enjoy the season.

The rigging is definitely one of them, at this point, for us. So I’m flying Ricky from Malta to Corfu for 2 days to take care of the shrouds and some lighting and wind cane issues.

Enjoy Tahiti. We chartered there in 2008 and had a great time.

Mohammad & Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099