Re: Sailing /Rowing dinghy

ngtnewington Newington

I have a Caribe rib with 15hp, actually I have two 15’s and one 5. I want to sell one of the 15’s as that is crazy. So anyone interested let me know.
I have to say that over the years I have had a number of tenders. On my first boat it was a very solid GRP rowing dinghy. I was young and very strong then and would think nothing of rowing a mile each way. However since those days when I cruised on a shoestring I have a different horizon and expectations.
I worked commercially running quite big vessels mostly with ribs and 25 hp Yamaha outboards. These boats are incredible work horses.

On an Amel  I would consider a solid rib with a 15 hp two stroke to be a formidable tool that can cope with quite a bit of weather and may well save your boat or your life and if you venture far it will pay for itself over and over. It is the family station wagon, it is the four wheel drive Landrover, the pick up truck.
Do not skimp on a good dinghy if you go adventuring.

Nick

Amelia AML54-019 anchored off Corfu town

On 16 Jun 2019, at 19:16, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

One downside is that what you have will not propel your boat to safety when necessary. If you have considered this and are OK with it, fine. But, if you haven't considered this, you need to re-think. You are going to places that you will need to self-rescue, and/or move your boat when you have no wind and no motor. It is hard to beat all of the advantages of a traditional RIB with a 10-20hp 2 cycle motor. I know of 2 SMs which were moved away from dangerous situations with a dinghy lashed to the stern quarter.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 10:48 AM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,
Last year we built a 11.5 ft sailing/rowing dinghy in hopes that it would work as a tender instead of carrying gasoline and gasoline motor(s).  RIBs are nearly impossible to row, can’t sail them, but they are very stable and carry 4 people easily.

The Dink we built is a Chesapeake Light Craft PassageMaker design that was originally sold as a nesting hull.  It’s 11.5 ft LOA , rows easily, and sails well.  When both parts are bolted together it only weighs ~95 lbs.  Sounds great so far, eh?

Here are the down sides:
*It doesn’t truly nest.  So we’re now storing 11.5ft of hull in two parts.  The bigger aft part sets nicely on the aft deck,  we weren’t comfortable lashing the bow section on the forward deck, so it ended up on the aft deck over the lazarette...so we can’t access the lazarette at sea without moving it.

*It is so lightly built that it bounces around pretty violently when alongside Kristy in any kind of chop.  It is also under built and we had to add strength to the bulkheads where the pieces bolt together because of cracks that developed at the joint between planks and bulkheads.

*The rig is a gunter style Marconi sloop with a small jib.  It takes about 45 min to rig and derig.  It sails well but can’t be reefed as currently set up.  With the gunter spar it would take a major overhaul to rig for reefing and it would be an involved process, not something that would be easy and quick. When rigged and not sailing the boom is in the way of rowing.

*It will carry 4 adults, but doing that and sailing would be impossible, I think.

We bought a Torqeedo electric outboard which pushes her along adequately, but it isn’t built tough enough for daily use in salt water.

i guess we will have to go back to the RIB and gas outboard.  Hoping someone out there has experience with a great nesting dinghy that’s truly built for use as a cruising tender.  There are a couple others that look better than the CLC PassageMaker but probably have many of the same issues.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Kent & Iris
Kristy
SM 243