Re: Petrol questions/survey

Alan Grayson

I have  6gal for the dinghy and 5gal for refill. When at anchor the 6 gal is stored in the dinghy and the 5 gal is tied to lifelines. When underway the dinghy is lashed to the aft cabin top and the cans are lashed under the dinghy. I lash the cans to the transom of the dinghy before totally lowering the dinghy. I also remove the plug of the dinghy to allow any vapors to escape.
Alan Grayson
SV Ora Pai SM 406
Washington DC
From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Chuck_Kim_Joy <clacey9@...>
Sent: Sunday, 16 June 2019 1:38:28 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Petrol questions/survey

Greetings All,
When I purchased my boat there were petrol/gasoline jugs in the life boat locker (life boat is on the stern). I thought this was normal protocol and stayed with it until now. After some reading and discussion I now realize this is not the safest way to store petrol. I have a 3gal in the dinghy and a 6gal stored to refill. I must say that a season in the Caribbean I saw many many Amels. Few had any fuel lashed to the stanchions. Would it be okay to store petrol in locker while on passage then crack the lid, prop it up a bit and let it vent while at anchor or get it out of there pronto! Now the survey.

1. How much petrol do you store
2. Where do you store it
3. How do you store it
4. Has anyone made a capped vent hole in lifeboat locker similar to propane locker

Best Regards and thanks for your time.
Chuck
Joy #388
In Grenada W.I (what a season)!

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.