Re: supplemental downwind sailing configuration for Super Maramu

Joerg Esdorn

James, my Code Zero is 100 m2 and the cloth is relatively light so it be used only up to 14 knots of apparent wind.  I chose the code zero because it is I am able to use it closer to the wind than a standard asym and I have a Parasailor as well for downwind work.  In light air, the apparent wind angle moves forward dramatically when the boat gets going.  So if I want to sail at a true wind angle of 90 because my course over the ground is in that direction, the apparent wind angle could be something like 60 degrees.  I also use the Code 0 in light running conditions because the Parasailor is no good in less than 7 Knots (and because the Code zero is much easier to set up than the Parasailor.  It really depends on how you would use the spinnaker.  I tend to sail rather than motor even in the very light stuff if I can get a sail to draw without banging.  If you always motor in below, say, 8 knots of true wind, just get a AP asym or a parasailor.  The Genoa will be fine in those conditions for reaching.  I hope that helps.