From: Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...>
To: main <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Jun 17, 2019 7:53 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Petrol questions/survey

I often see world cruisers with cans lashed to stanchions. It seems many of the boats on which I observe this have a set up not as solid as Amel. I have never once heard of a large wave causing damage due to cans lashed. Improperly lashed, maybe. But not damage just because of the location. So I have to ask the question, has this ever happened?

We NEVER have anything lashed to the stanchions.
One decent wave and it would be gone and damage the stanchions.”

(my 2¢) My school of thought is I would rather repair stanchion damage due to a freak wave (if this is possible) than to file an insurance claim because the back end of my boat blow up from gasoline fumes. In my lazarette there are several items that could spark highly explosive gas fumes such as a short in the SSB antenna tuner, outlets or power supplies. Plastic gas cans are not immune to leakage and the threat of a leak can be amplified by abrasion during passages. Gasoline fumes are highly explosive (and heavier than air) and should never be stored in an area not adequately vented.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper
Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275
Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama
www.creampuff.us

We NEVER have anything lashed to the stanchions.
One decent wave and it would be gone and damage the stanchions.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437