Re: Gears of bow thruster worn out after 12 times of use, two questions

If your bow thruster needs shims, it is the first time I have heard of this issue.

How much oil was in the bow thruster when the overhaul was done and the bow thruster reinstalled?

What type of oil did you use?

How much oil and/or water was in the bow thruster when you discovered the gears worn this time?

Do you know if the horizontal shaft is original? Is it worn? Did you replace it when the gears were replaced?

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 2:11 AM Willem Kroes <kavanga@...> wrote:
Dear Amelians,

After installing a new kit with gears and bearings from Amel last October and after using the bow thruster not more than 12 times the gears are worn out like in October.

The diagnosis of the mechanic with some experience with Amel boats is that there was too much play between the vertical and horizontal gears and that spacers or shims are needed add to the bearings in order to set the gear wheels in a proper fixed position.

First question: is Amel selling a set of shims with different thickness (0.10 to 0.50 mm)?

Second question: What is your opinion about what the mechanic told me?

Best regards,

Willem Kroes

SM#351  KAVANGA

Now at anchor near the Aktio marina close to Preveza in Greece