Re: Gears of bow thruster worn out after 12 times of use, two questions

Mark McGovern

Willem,

Can you post some pictures of your gears to show us the wear that you are seeing?  I changed out the bearings on my bowthruster this past winter for no real reason other than the fact that they were 15 years old.  I was surprised with how loose the gears fit together and found that there was a lot of "play" or "slop" in them.  However, there was no appreciable wear on the teeth.  I sent a video to my surveyor Olivier Beaute showing the amount of play and he said it was what he would consider a normal amount of play.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara