Re: Gears of bow thruster worn out after 12 times of use, two questions

Germain Jean-Pierre

FWIW, I had a set of gears machined by shop in NZ.  Works well although we use it rarely as we anchor most times.

GL with your repair.

JP Germain, Eleuthera, SM 007

On 17 Jun 2019, at 19:11, Willem Kroes <kavanga@...> wrote:

Dear Amelians,

After installing a new kit with gears and bearings from Amel last October and after using the bow thruster not more than 12 times the gears are worn out like in October.

The diagnosis of the mechanic with some experience with Amel boats is that there was too much play between the vertical and horizontal gears and that spacers or shims are needed add to the bearings in order to set the gear wheels in a proper fixed position.

First question: is Amel selling a set of shims with different thickness (0.10 to 0.50 mm)?

Second question: What is your opinion about what the mechanic told me?

Best regards,

Willem Kroes

SM#351  KAVANGA

Now at anchor near the Aktio marina close to Preveza in Greece