Engine room blower- what I learned

Thomas Kleman

My 2 yr old mastervolt 100 amp charger failed; it's replacement (100 amp victron) did an ambient temp partial shutdown. My observation was that the 220 volt blower activated by the genset was very weak. I decided to replace it.

The blower that is failing is a Climma Compact EH blower. Tried new capacitor; still little air. At first wasn't sure why Amel chose this route and not a strong 220 volt industrial extractor fan. Now I know; 10 hrs of research yielded no suitable replacement in this area. Marine extractor blowers are all 12 or 24 volts. Nothing found that's 220.

I considered a 12 or 24 volt replacement like the other blowers in the engine room. My 100 amp victron charger has starter battery connections I could use. I almost never run the genset without the big charger on. Problem- starter battery port on victron puts out 4 amps; blower needs 5.3. Considered connection 12 amp blower to genset alternator circuit but feared same problem. Considered 24 volt blower to a separate switch in galley; maybe I'd forget to turn it on and I like stupid-proof solutions. I grudgingly came to the conclusion that Amel did it this way because it was the most elegant solution.

Called coastal climate control in Maryland. They had a slightly used blower with capacitor and steel mounting (exact match) for $130. Decided to go in that direction as my attempt to innovate yielded no better options.

If this saves one owner some time it's worth it.

Thomas Kleman
SM2K 422

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.