Re: Pulling the mast to rerig

eric freedman

Hi Alan,

I had Kimberlite re-rigged by the Amel riggers in Martinique last year. It was beautiful to watch.

It took two men 2 days to do with the mast in place.

They took down the port and starboard wires in pairs , made up the rigging with Acmo components and put them back in place. While they were changing the rigging another person was polishing the chainplates.

After watching this done I cannot understand why the  rigger you spoke to wants to take down the mast. While the headstay was down they also rebuilt the genoa furler.

I would suggest you speak to another rigger, They can inspect the top of the mast in place..

If I am not mistaken Amel suggests every 15 years, My rigging was 16 years old. I had them cut open a few swages and no rust in them and no problems after 80,000 miles.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376