Re: Pulling the mast to rerig

eric freedman

Hi Alan,

I had Kimberlite re-rigged by the Amel riggers in Martinique last year. It was beautiful to watch.

It took two men 2 days to do with the mast in place.

They took down the port and starboard wires in pairs , made up the rigging with Acmo components and put them back in place. While they were changing the rigging another person was polishing the chainplates.

After watching this done I cannot understand why the  rigger you spoke to wants to take down the mast. While the headstay was down they also rebuilt the genoa furler.

I would suggest you speak to another rigger, They can inspect the top of the mast in place..

If I am not mistaken Amel suggests every 15 years, My rigging was 16 years old. I had them cut open a few swages and no rust in them and no problems after 80,000 miles.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan Grayson
Sent: Monday, July 01, 2019 2:50 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Pulling the mast to rerig

Hello, I'm about to rerig our Super Maramu and the riggers are saying that they would prefer to pull the masts and that it should be done every 7 years or so anyway.
I have ordered rigging from Acmo and the riggers are quite happy to let me change it out once it is on the ground which saves a few dollars.
My questions are, does the rig need to be pulled every 7 years?
While the mast is down what other maintenance items are advisable to do? I will be servicing motors, gearboxes, checking foils, swivels, running a couple of new wires and spot painting corrosion.
What other important jobs am I missing?
Regards
Alan Grayson
SV Ora Pai SM 406
Annapolis, MD

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.