Re: Poor Anchor Chain Maintenance

Gary Silver

Hi James:

WOW!! If anyone needed additional impetus to take care of their chain (in addition to Kent on Kristi's story), you have provided it.

May I make a couple of additional suggestions that have stood me in good stead for the last 18 years of my SM ownership (80% in Caribbean waters):
1.  Convert the anchor wash down system to fresh water.
2.  Install a fresh water deck wash down fitting (T'ed off with a valve from the anchor wash down line in the port forward locker).  Every time you wash down the deck, direct some fresh water down the hawse pipe to douse the "pile" with some fresh water.
3.  Make sure to plug the hawse pipe when sailing to prevent salt water flooding in there.
4.  Pay out all the chain when going on the hard or at least twice per year.

Thanks for sharing, and "motivating" us to be careful with this.

Sincerely,

Gary S. Silver, M.D.
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 Hull #335