Re: Poor Anchor Chain Maintenance

karkauai

James, I am sure that we aren’t the only two to have experienced this debacle.  I am going to pass my nickname “Rusty” on to you officially until the next person admits to dealing with the same problem.

I recommend cutting the floor out of the bow locker to access the chain locker.  Everyone will eventually need to do this anyway and it will make removing the ball of rusty chain a 1/2 day job, and allow access for yearly cleaning.

When you think it’s time to turn the chain end for end, my advice is to have it re-galvanized.

Kent
Kristy
SM243

On Jul 3, 2019, at 1:49 PM, Chuck_Kim_Joy <clacey9@...> wrote:

Great suggestions. One more. We anchored all over the Caribbean this season. Sometimes as long as 10 days in one spot. In Prickly bay Grenada we saw the worst fouling of chain. 2 inch thick growth on about 60 feet of chain. The worst smelling goup you've ever encountered. We we're 12 days in one spot. We could do nothing but sail with it to Trinidad and remove all chain power wash and disinfect the chain locker. It will never be the same neither will we.
All the best
Chuck
Joy #388
Trinidad

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 1:10 PM Gary Silver via Groups.Io <garysilver=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi James:

WOW!! If anyone needed additional impetus to take care of their chain (in addition to Kent on Kristi's story), you have provided it.

May I make a couple of additional suggestions that have stood me in good stead for the last 18 years of my SM ownership (80% in Caribbean waters):
1.  Convert the anchor wash down system to fresh water.
2.  Install a fresh water deck wash down fitting (T'ed off with a valve from the anchor wash down line in the port forward locker).  Every time you wash down the deck, direct some fresh water down the hawse pipe to douse the "pile" with some fresh water.
3.  Make sure to plug the hawse pipe when sailing to prevent salt water flooding in there.
4.  Pay out all the chain when going on the hard or at least twice per year.

Thanks for sharing, and "motivating" us to be careful with this.

Sincerely,

Gary S. Silver, M.D.
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 Hull #335