From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Duane Siegfri via Groups.Io
Sent: 07 July 2019 14:35
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Sterilize the watermaker

I have the Duo60 watermaker, and we're getting ready to leave the boat for 3 months in Grenada.  I planned on sterililzing the watermaker with Sodium Metabisulfite (SM).  I also have the sterilizing cartridge.

The problem is I don't know how much of the SM to put in the cartridge.  The Dessalator instructions say to put the whole package in, but the SM I have is from a bulk supplier, so this is not a Dessalator package.

The instructions on the package of SM I have says to use 2 oz per gallon of water to sanitize.  The Dessalator instructions (for the bucket method) says to combine the package of SM with 8 litres of water (about 2 gallons).  So if it's only a math problem there should be about 4 oz of SM in the package...which means I should put 4 oz in the sterililzing cartridge.

Does this sound correct to those of you who have done this deed?

Thanks for the help!
Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

--