Re: Bow Thruster lip seal

Mark McGovern

Duane,

I purchased my 60x80x12 oil seal for the bowthruster tunnel here:  https://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=7ad56cfd50cade74b1beb97a630c80db&keyword=60X80X12TC

However, the spring is made from zinc-plated carbon steel, not stainless steel as I could not find a metric seal of that size with a stainless steel garter spring.  However, since you grease the seal when you install it with a waterproof grease like Super Lube or Molykote 111, I don't think that it will be an issue.  I guess I will find out in ~2 years when I do my next bowthruster service.  Or perhaps sooner if the springs rusts out and causes the seal to fail!

By the way, https://www.theoringstore.com is also a great site to find hard to find metric o-rings.  They have a huge selection of them in stock.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara