Re: Sterilize the watermaker

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

I was curious about this and emailed Desallator to confirm, and this is the reply I got from Martin de Jong:

Good morning Paul,

No this is not the proper way of doing it, this is a good possibility of ruining your membranes. The proper way is using the sterilizing cartridge and use it as it's supposed to.

Now if for one reason or another somebody did not do the sterilizing before leaving the boat then there is always the possibility flushing it without running it for 15 minutes and just do to normal startup after replacing the pre-filter of course.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Willem Kroes
Sent: 09 July 2019 13:29
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Sterilize the watermaker

In november 2017 I spoke with two Dessalator representatives on the MET's in Amsterdam. I asked them about to sterilize the membranes of my DUO 60. The answer was quite simple: It is not necessary to do that. Just after a long time of not use, turn the system on without pressure for about 40 minutes and the slowly increase pressure during 10 minutes not further than the first quarter of the meter. After that, increase pressure until the system comes to produce. I used this method now for two season starts and it works great. Chemicals in the end will destroy the system and will shorten the lifespan of the membranes, they told me. 

I spoke to:

Vincent Koster, Systems engineer: vincent@... and
Martin de Jong, Director - manager (DENIA, Spain and France): spain@...

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.