Shore power contactor burnt out


Eamonn Washington
 

Hi

yesterday I connected to 220V shore power, sockets worked as usual. Then I switched on the 220V battery charger and aircon.  A few seconds later all 220V power stopped and there was a burning smell in the galley and the large port cockpit locker.  No breakers gone on shore or the boat.  No possibility to get shore power working again.  The inverter still works but did not try the generator (due to an abundance of caution).

Today I traced the shore power cable to the forward end of the large port cockpit locker, behind the insulation and removable end panel. There was a lot of ash, which was never there before (I clean every year).  I opened the grey box that the mains cable terminated in, and there was evidence of melted electrical insulation and a lot of soot. Inside there was a “device” with the labels “Telemecanique” and “LC1 D25008”.  I googled this and found it is a “contactor” (I never heard of this word before). 

My questions are: did this device fail due to age and simply needs to be replaced (along with damaged wires), or did it protect me from something badly wrong and there is another problem elsewhere (battery charger or aircon).

I am waiting for an electrician, but maybe someone else has some advice?

Thanks
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Currently in Trapani, Sicily, Italy.

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.