Re: Spade Anchor

ngtnewington Newington

Hi Paul,
After researching extensively I have decided to demote my WASI 30kg to the second anchor, sell my Delta 40Kg, the current 2nd anchor and buy a Spade 160 which is 37kg, as my primary anchor. It is ordered but am waiting on delivery.
I did consider going for the 180 Spade. Obviously bigger is better in terms of holding power but I also considered the windlass and the chain, the whole system and felt that the 160 is the correct anchor for an Amel 54.
I will report back on it’s performance.

Nick
Anchored in the Ionian near Ithaca.
Amelia AML 54-019

On 19 Jul 2019, at 20:32, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

We have lost confidence in our Rocna anchor, it served us well for over two years, but this season we have dragged several times, It happens when wind shift 180 degree, then we have slowly slipped backwards. After searching the market we have come to the conclusion that Spade is probably one of te best anchors, great holding power and very god 180 degree resetting.
Now my questions to you out there who have a spade anchor, What size do you have? what is the largest one can fit without major modifications on an SM?
Would prefer the 45 kg S180 if it fits
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 Horta The Azores