Re: Auto pilot for a Santorin 46

JOHN HAYES

Thanks Craig

I took over the boat with a dead auto helm as you describe

Along side that the newer Raymarine st6002 unit  (now failed) had been installed

It is a linear drive and might be repairable

What I’m trying to do is to identify a new system to purchase and install as close as possible to the present system so I don’t have to get into a lot of re-engineering

Can’t get to wifi before midday after clearing customs (who don’t work on sat and Sunday!)

Best

John

On 21/07/2019, at 4:33 AM, Craig Briggs via Groups.Io <sangaris@...> wrote:

Hi John,
Don't you have the standard Santorin insallation of a Raymarine Type 2 Rotary drive (not a linear drive) with a chain turning the wheel? And is that controlled by the ST6002?
It's not clear from your posting what the problem is - has the rotary drive failed or has the autopilot controller failed.  If it's the rotary drive and that was the original on your boat, Raymarine no longer supports that and it's likely it's more than just brushes. You'll be far better served by getting a new one (about $1,500). You can either control it with your old ST6002 or with a modern unit like the EVO or a B&G NAC3, etc.
Good luck with it,
Craig SN68 Sangaris