From what I have heard the rocna is also a fine anchor but the dialogue between the owners of the rocna and Alain when it came to a Wikipedia entry was pretty unhappy. There is room for both anchors--and others--in the boating world. However, I think Alain might have a wry smile on his face as he looks down from his celestial cruising ground and sees the Vulcan, a  development of the original rocna.  Notice any similarity ?

 Ian and Judy,  Pen Azen SM 302 Greece

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Rudolf Waldispuehl <Rudolf@...>
Sent: 20 July 2019 07:40
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Spade Anchor

Hello Paul

Sorry to hear that you are not happy with Rocna. I have changed from Original Buegel, (which is now BB on second Roller), to Rocna 40kg and using it the second season now.

Never dragged since then. I’m very happy with it and had several occasions recently with 180-degree shifts. I observed and dived the Anchor after a shift and discovered it may drag 0.5m or 1m (but not more) for resetting.

I had many troubles with the Buegel in the Agean Sea, especially when the bottom was partly covered by weed the holding was poor.

Ruedi & Sabina Waldispuehl
"SY WASABI"
Amel 54. #55

MMSI: 269322000
Call Sign: HBY3811

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...>
Datum: Freitag, 19. Juli 2019 um 22:16
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Spade Anchor

Hello Paul,

I am a bit surprised your Rocna is not working as you expect; ours was brilliant (on our previous boat) even with a 180 degree wind shift.  Does yours have the roll over bar?

I had a CQR before on Eleuthera and this was pretty bad so having found a ULTRA dealer who gave me a big discount, I went for it.  If you do ULTRA, the 35Kg has worked perfectly for us. The 45KG should also fit.  Ensure you get the ULTRA swivel and chain claw.  Both are great kit esp the swivel which always brings the anchor aboard right side up.

GL

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM 007, Fiji

On 20 Jul 2019, at 05:32, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

We have lost confidence in our Rocna anchor, it served us well for over two years, but this season we have dragged several times, It happens when wind shift 180 degree, then we have slowly slipped backwards. After searching the market we have come to the conclusion that Spade is probably one of te best anchors, great holding power and very god 180 degree resetting.
Now my questions to you out there who have a spade anchor, What size do you have? what is the largest one can fit without major modifications on an SM?
Would prefer the 45 kg S180 if it fits
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 Horta The Azores