Re: Water maker Questions

Matt Salatino

Sodium metabisulphite is a pickling solution. It’s only meant to keep organisms from fouling your membranes while the boat is stored, and watermaker isn’t being used.
There are two cleaning chemicals:
Sodium Hydroxide, for organic.
Citric Acid, for mineral deposits.
Doing a search inline will reveal sources (ebay is one) and concentrations.
Good luck.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Jul 23, 2019, at 1:05 PM, Thomas Peacock <peacock8491@...> wrote:

I’m hoping to get a few tips on our water maker. We have a LaRochelle installed Dessalator, I believe a D60, SM 240, 24 volts only. We have used it only sporadically.
I put new membranes in 2 years ago. I am trying to be sure it works properly, we are in the Chesapeake Bay, which is only brackish water so we don’t use it there. Going to Martinique this fall.
The Dessalator manual at one point says we should have 250 TDS, at another it says 500, which certainly tastes brackish.
At 40 bar we get 270, at 60 bar about 330, which then goes down to 280 after about 5 minutes. We get 0.75 liters/minute.
Is this acceptable performance? I am more concerned about the TDS than the rate. I would like to clean the membranes as suggested by Dessalator, all they say is “cleaning solution”. Is this the same as the pickling compound, sodium metabisulfite?
Thanks as always for everyone’s insights.
Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Chesapeake Bay