Re: Water maker Questions

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi All;

We have the 150 l/hr Dessalator. Martin Dee Jong at Dessalator has been our main go to person when we’ve had any issues with our Dessalator. He has always been extremely knowledgeable and helpful and his information has always been spot on. I believe he has the position of director now for Dessalator in a couple of countries.

According to Martin there is no advantage in running the system at low pressures. In fact he advised that it should always be run at max pressure in the green simply because we will produce more water without any downside.

He also advises that as long as the system in run regularly, at least once a week, there is no need for fresh water flush. For wintering he advised us to follow their system of sterilization for up to 6 months.

We have followed his advise with good results so far. We have about 470 hours on the water maker which is now 11 years old on the original membranes. We always get production rates of 150-180 l/hr depending mainly on the water temperature. Our TDS runs in the 250 range all the time. We do not use any water other than Dessalator water on board, so the water maker gets used at least every other when we are on board, which is about 5-6 months every year.

Respectfully;

Mohammad & Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54#099

On Jul 24, 2019, at 4:21 PM, Ryan Meador via Groups.Io <ryan.d.meador@...> wrote:

Hi Tom,

Great meeting you last week.  I believe we have the same watermaker you do (Iteration is hull 233).  We see almost exactly the same production rate that you do.  I believe we see similar TDS as well, but we do not have a meter; I think the folks in Martinique told me it was about 250 when they rebuilt it last winter.  We were instructed to run it at 55-60 bar, despite the green zone on the gauge being from 60-65 bar.  They said it shortens the membrane life to run it at higher pressure.

While we're on the subject, I saw this article just a few days ago about how the neighboring town of Cambridge, MA has a TDS of 469 in their public water supply!

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 6:34 PM Craig Briggs via Groups.Io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill et al,
World Health Organization to the rescue; but anything <500 ppm is good.
"TDS is a measure of Total Dissolved Solids in Water which comprise of inorganic salts, principally calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, bicarbonates, chlorides and sulfates, and small amounts of organic matter that are dissolved in water. TDS in drinking-water originates from natural sources, sewage, urban runoff, and industrial wastewater. Concentrations of TDS in water vary considerably in different geological regions owing to differences in the solubility of minerals.

According to WHO report on Drinking water standards, NO health-based guideline value is proposed for TDS in Drinking Water which essentially means that human body can ingest any amount of TDS in water without any health impact. Now the question is …Why high TDS is considered bad in Drinking Water?

The simple reason is the palatability or taste! Yes, you heard it right. High levels of TDS in drinking-water may have a certain objectionable taste because of salts. The palatability of water with a TDS level of less than 600 mg/liter is generally considered to be good; drinking-water becomes significantly unpalatable at TDS levels greater than 1200 mg/liter. Also, TDS may be high because of certain chemicals which are harmful and hence purification is required to eradicate them. However, this is not a concern in naturally available water. Thus, we can drink the water of any TDS level if it is devoid of harmful pathogens, chemical, and other unacceptable impurities.Hence…high TDS does not lead to any health problem. The presence of high levels of TDS may also be objectionable because of excessive scaling in water pipes, heaters, boilers, and household appliances.

Alternatively, water with extremely low concentrations of TDS may also be unacceptable because of its flat, insipid taste.Most purification techniques such as filtration, membrane processing or sedimentation aim to eliminate the impurities that form high TDS. Water is treated or purified to maintain palatability as well as purity in terms of microbial and chemical composition. It has nothing to do with TDS or mineral content. Purifiers in the market with TDS modulator or a Mineral Booster are just for marketing promotion for naïve customers and do not have any rationale behind it.

To know more about TDS in drinking water, go through the following research published by WHO.WHO Guidelines for drinking-water quality -2008

http://www.who.int/water_sanitat...