Re: Shore power contactor burnt out

eric freedman

Hi Emmons,

With the switch in the cabin, is it possible to send AC down the shore power cord with the generator running?

The purpose of the contactor is to disconnect the generator from the shore power cord.

Fair Winds

Eric

sm

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Eamonn Washington
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2019 12:25 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Shore power contactor burnt out

Hi

the good news is that I found a competent electrician in Cagliari, Sandro (tel 3476327483, only speaks Italian), and a place to get the stator rewound (Matta Electromeccanica, tel 070 284 647).  Without the helpful staff at Marina del Sole I would not have got this far.

The stator weighs about 60kg, the copper had completely melted.  The rotor was fine.  Matta will charge 500 euros plus 22% VAT for the rewinding of the stator.

I will install a double pole 20A breaker in a box in the aft lazarette like Bill suggested.  (I don’t want this generator problem again.)  Also I will install a manual relay switch in the galley to replace the burnt out contactor in the cockpit locker, with a middle OFF position, rated for at least 32A.

Thanks for all the support on this forum, it provided invaluable help.

Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Currently in Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy.

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.