Re: interesting quote

Mark Erdos

There are indeed some awesome quotes here. Thanks so much for sharing. I have a new favorite now: “Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear.” – Buzzy Trent

I have to laugh at the “Twenty years from now…” being attributed to Mark Twain. I see this all the time on peoples blogs and FaceBook etc. It is a motto so many cruisers use as the credo for their lifestyle. But, Mark Twain never actually said or wrote this. It has to be the most incorrectly attributed quote of all time.

The first time this quote ever appeared in print was pretty recently in 1990. It is in a book by the bestselling author H. Jackson Brown, Jr. He published the work containing the quotation, but he did not take credit for it. The book “P.S. I Love You” contained a collection of wise aphorisms from Brown’s mother, Sarah Frances Brown. Each page contained one thought, and this quote was printed on page 13. Each remark was prefaced with “P.S.” and ended with “I love you, Mom”. I guess attributing it to Mark Twain is more impactful than the actual person deserving of the credit, Sarah Frances Brown.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of eric freedman
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2019 10:10 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] interesting quote

I got that quote from here.

There are some great sayings here.

Fair Winds

Eric

https://themusterstation.com/ocean-quotes/

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark Erdos
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2019 8:53 PM
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] interesting quote

Does this mean we are stuck between alive and dead – {smile} Isn’t this call being a zombie?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of eric freedman
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2019 9:23 PM
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] interesting quote

There are three sorts of people; those who are alive, those who are dead, and those who are at sea.”
– Old Capstan Chantey attributed to Anacharsis, 6th Century BC

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.