Re: interesting quote

Mark Erdos

There are indeed some awesome quotes here. Thanks so much for sharing. I have a new favorite now: “Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear.” – Buzzy Trent

I have to laugh at the “Twenty years from now…” being attributed to Mark Twain. I see this all the time on peoples blogs and FaceBook etc. It is a motto so many cruisers use as the credo for their lifestyle. But, Mark Twain never actually said or wrote this. It has to be the most incorrectly attributed quote of all time.

The first time this quote ever appeared in print was pretty recently in 1990. It is in a book by the bestselling author H. Jackson Brown, Jr. He published the work containing the quotation, but he did not take credit for it. The book “P.S. I Love You” contained a collection of wise aphorisms from Brown’s mother, Sarah Frances Brown. Each page contained one thought, and this quote was printed on page 13. Each remark was prefaced with “P.S.” and ended with “I love you, Mom”. I guess attributing it to Mark Twain is more impactful than the actual person deserving of the credit, Sarah Frances Brown.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff