Re: VP MD22L

Patrick McAneny

Bernard , On my Volvo TMD22a the heat exchanger has a rubber cap on each end, the caps seal around the heat exchanger tube and also seals around the heat exchanger vessel or housing that contains the antifreeze. So the caps serve a dual purpose and the cap is tightened around the exchanger (tube) and the vessl with s.s. clamps. If that clamp is not tight or the cap is in poor condition then salt water can get into the coolant. Its not a great design and I have always worried about a failure resulting in what you have. I just replaced the caps because they were old ,dried out and lost their flexibility ,thus their ability to seal . I might add that I had an overheating issue for years and finally discovered that there was a rubber o ring seal that slide over the tube that had gotten old and broke apart. That o ring insures that all the coolant flows thru the heat exchanger. If you should buy new caps don't buy them for a Volvo ,but for a Perkins , assuming your engine is a Perkins as mine is ,same caps are $340 from Volvo ,$35 from Perkins. Hope this helps,have any questions...
Pat
SM Shenanigans
Sassafras River , Md.

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Aug 1, 2019 3:52 pm
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] VP MD22L

Hi everyone!
Following problem on a SN (119 From 1995)
Engine VP MD22 L
I have the following problem...
After a few hours engine ops the sweat water (coolant circuit) becomes saltwater. I suspected the leak in the bundle (the tube with the many small holes, about 40 cm long in the heat exchanger). I did a pressure check on this part with a compressor today and there seems to be NO leak. I slowly come to the end of my ideas... ? The engine is still good for it’s age, but running on saltwater will kill it sooner or later 😢 Anyone with some hints n ideas for me?!
Greets
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cascais, Portugal

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.