Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow locker seals

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Bill and Kent. I would suspect it is the D with the large hole but the is an opinion from my office chair. Ill be on the boat later and Ill look.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 04 August 2019 at 06:02 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Kent,

I believe the difference between what is available today in D profile gaskets and what was available to Amel when the SM was made is that gasket manufacturers have changed the density of the neoprene foam used to make the gasket, thereby lowering their material costs, which enables them to lower resale costs, which is the number one thing demanded by buyers. Get it?

That said and assuming I am correct,  1-inch half round gaskets in the configuration of D with a 3/16 hole down the center may be the best solution. Direct me to the source, and I will investigate further.

Does anyone know which of these profiles most closely resembles the originals?
D Profile with a large hole in the center.

Are the originals truly 1” half-round with 1 inch height?
25mmX25mm (25mm = 0.984252")

What material are they?  Neoprene? Something else?
I think they are  neoprene foam

What material was used to reinforce them at the corners?
Amel inserted a round piece of solid  neoprene foam  about 10cm long and about Ø12-15mm inside the D gasket at the corners.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 11:51 AM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai= yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I posted this s few weeks ago with no definitive answers, trying again.  I want to replace my deck locker gaskets, and haven’t found a source for them other than Amel.  Bill R’s post earlier indicated they are hollow and reinforced at the corners with something in the hollow.  John was looking for a 1inch “half-round” gasket.  Richard built up new gaskets out of neoprene layers. John and Anne found leaking spots with a hose test with her in the locker, and said Amel drilled small holes in the seals at those points and injected silicone which stopped the leaks.

I have found 1-inch half round gaskets in three configurations: D with a large hollow, D with a 3/16 hole down the center, and Solid half round.

Does anyone know which of these profiles most closely resembles the originals?

Are the originals truly 1” half-round with 1inch height?

What material are they?  Neoprene? Something else?

What material was used to reinforce them at the corners?

John and Anne, is the Amel silicone injection repair holding up?

Thanks for any advice/thoughts/sources/etc

Kent
SM243
Kristy