Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow locker seals

karkauai

I’ll call in the morning.  Just to be sure, the height of the original gasket is 1” or 25mm, correct?

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Aug 4, 2019, at 4:30 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

The important thing is that the material should not be so firm and high that it stresses the hinges and will latch down evenly. Too thick or firm would make stress and uneven compression that could lead to leaks.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 05 August 2019 at 08:10 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Danny I am sure A represents what Amel installed, but since apparently all manufacturers have cheapened the foam by lowering the density. This is the reason that I believe I would replace it with B profile.

That said, I will wait for a final judgement until after Kent has talked to the manufacturer.

Kent, you should ask: Is B better than A in situations where the compression will be greater than 25%.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019, 2:23 PM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS < simms@...> wrote:

I would think A is closest to what I have on Ocean Pearl

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocen Pearl

On 05 August 2019 at 04:47 CW Bill Rouse < brouse@...> wrote:

I am resending this because the first email did not really look correct with HTML

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

http://www.acmerubber.com/round.htm

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 11:41 AM CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse= gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Kent,

If I am not mistaken, they have exactly what I think will work best, which is CACD240:

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

Let me know what they say

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 3:11 AM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai= yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Here’s the site I was looking at.  These are truly half-round with base 1”, height 1/2”(not 1”).

I’ll contact them and Steve’s site to see if I can find 1” x 1” high D profile in neoprene.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Aug 3, 2019, at 10:42, CW Bill Rouse < brouse@...> wrote:

Steve,

Note that Trim-LOC says it uses EPDM Rubber.

EPDM is related to polyethylene...I assume that this will be similar to polyfoam. The specs state that "compression Rating Recommended 25% compression for the maximum performance." This is where I had a failure with the gasket I previously used. If you notice the weight of the engine room hatch, it will compress the D Gasket to more than 25%, especially if the center hole is large.

Maybe the one that Kent found with a 3/16" hole will be the best.

It will take about 90' to do everything.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 1:34 PM Stephen Davis < flyboyscd@...> wrote:
Hi Bill,

How does this product look using the BT Tape?

Regards,
Steve
Aloha SM72