Re: Amel is going lithium

Scott SV Tengah

Arno,

The small cycles don't really bother lithium. Granted this is only one biased source but I've seen plenty of other non-biased sources stating the same.

https://gwl-power.tumblr.com/post/130701906811/faq-lifepo4-cycle-life-based-on-dod-the-graph

We typically try to go no lower than 70% DOD and that should get us thousands and thousands of cycles. That is over 10 years even as full time liveaboards.

One solution, which requires some experimentation, is to set lower absorption voltages. It's not super easy as lithium doesn't drop in voltage much as you draw them down or even when you have high current draws, for that matter. So it's hard to pick a voltage to get your target state of charge level. But based on my observations, if you set around 27.2V absorption on my Victron lifepo4 batteries, that should get you around 50-60% state of charge, near ideal for long term storage and hence the ideal "full" level when you're on shore power.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69