Re: Amel is going lithium

Scott SV Tengah

Paul,

At the risk of costing you some money on upgrades, I will say that being able to run all the 220v appliances without the genset is one of the biggest advantages of having lithium. Especially the washing machine as it takes such a long time and has such variable draw but a low average draw, so you're unnecessarily adding runtime to the genset unless you batch it with a lot of other uses.

We have the Victron Quattro 24v/5000va/120amp. At 5000watts, more or less, the only 220v appliance that won't run is the Bauer Junior II scuba compressor. And that's only due to the startup current required. I can probably start the scuba compressor with the genset and continue with the inverter. With your mostly Mastervolt setup, I'd suggest sticking to Mastervolt so the batteries can talk to the inverter. But I'm sure Mastervolt has a similar product.

The danger of having that much inverter capacity is that people sometimes think it's really like being at home. The admiral has been known to run the electric boiler, induction stovetop and microwave at the same time on battery/inverter. With respect to the batteries, it's only around half the recommended continuous draw, but it still makes me cringe!

--
ScottĀ
2007 A54 #69