Re: Amel is going lithium

Porter McRoberts

We run in series as it’s a bit far from the mppt 90v to the mppt

Porter

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Aug 6, 2019, at 9:53 AM, Scott SV Tengah <sv.tengah@...> wrote:

Porter,

You've astutely pointed out one of the major advantages of Lifepo4.

Charging your lead (?) batteries between 80-100% maximizes their longevity but results in them having trouble accepting even mid-day full current from your panels. With lifepo4, it can accept full current until high 90s state of charge.

As a corollary, we have 220v chargers that total 200amps. The batteries accept the full current up until 95-98% and that's why our genset runtime is so short. Add in the charging efficiency with only 3% lost through heat vs. 20%+ on lead and it makes a huge difference on both genset usage and solar charging efficiency.

PS - are you running the 3 panels serial or parallel? If you aren't sure, you can check the voltages on the numerical data.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69