Re: Amel is going lithium

Stephen Davis

Sorry....Wrong recipient!

On Aug 6, 2019, at 11:02 AM, Stephen Davis via Groups.Io <flyboyscd@...> wrote:

Very cool...Hope I’m able to still do that when I’m 82. This is my cool ne airplane.

image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg

On Aug 6, 2019, at 9:11 AM, Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:

Hey Scott, thank you and I was figuring a 5000w inverter upgrade (Maybe a 7500w when available)to run all from 24v when possible, I too have a Bauer junior. I guess then genset is still a great reliable generation item and needed for those jobs, but’s it is great to live off batteries most of the time and look forward to the day when it’s easy.

Nice sharing with you and thanks for the advice

Regards Paul Fortuna II A55#17

On 6 Aug 2019, at 8:36 pm, Scott SV Tengah <sv.tengah@...> wrote:

Paul,

At the risk of costing you some money on upgrades, I will say that being able to run all the 220v appliances without the genset is one of the biggest advantages of having lithium. Especially the washing machine as it takes such a long time and has such variable draw but a low average draw, so you're unnecessarily adding runtime to the genset unless you batch it with a lot of other uses.

We have the Victron Quattro 24v/5000va/120amp. At 5000watts, more or less, the only 220v appliance that won't run is the Bauer Junior II scuba compressor. And that's only due to the startup current required. I can probably start the scuba compressor with the genset and continue with the inverter. With your mostly Mastervolt setup, I'd suggest sticking to Mastervolt so the batteries can talk to the inverter. But I'm sure Mastervolt has a similar product.

The danger of having that much inverter capacity is that people sometimes think it's really like being at home. The admiral has been known to run the electric boiler, induction stovetop and microwave at the same time on battery/inverter. With respect to the batteries, it's only around half the recommended continuous draw, but it still makes me cringe!

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69