Re: Amel is going lithium

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Scott;

Very impressive numbers. I am familiar the Lithium battery technology and all the benefits you mention, since we have been using it in giant scale radio control airplane models (Up to 60% scale) for years.

The one major issue with lithium that has prevented us from making the change to Lithium on Kokomo, has been safety. There have been many cases of these batteries burning down models as well as houses, when the fire happened to occur in the house.

In most cases the issue has been misuse or equipment failure, that has led to overcharge/discharge but some that seem to have been without any external input and not during usage  As far as I have observed, , once the fire starts, it cannot be extinguished with standard firefighting equipment. It basically seems to need to burn itself out.

Do you know which lithium technology Mastervolt uses? (Lithium Polymer, ION, LIFE, or ?) Did you ever happen to address the safety and evaluate the hazards with this technology? What was your conclusion and how do you view the hazards associated with these batteries?

I would also be interested in seeing a picture of your solar setup, if you have one. Thanks for posting all the useful information and data.

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099