Re: Amel is going lithium

Scott SV Tengah

Mohammad,

Both Victron, which I have and Mastervolt use lifepo4 chemistry, a much safer (but less energy dense) technology than the lithium ion that is more common. I don't know much about RC planes, but I assume for weight, they'd go with the lithium ion, which is far more prone to catching fire and when they do have thermal runaway, burn much hotter and are likely to ignite adjacent cells.

I'll write about my thoughts on safety in a later post. I'm sure you know about the relative safety of lifepo4, but here's a FAA fire hazard analysis done on the various battery types as they are often used in real airplanes. I read this last year before I was contemplating adding lithium to my boat.

Lifepo4 is shown to be safer than the other lithium chemistries.

https://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/TC-16-17.pdf

While safer, it's not without risk. Then again, neither is lead acid as I personally know the owner of an Amel who experienced an unexplained lead acid battery bank explosion. Luckily no one was sleeping on the passage berth at the time.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69