Re: Amel is going lithium

Mohammad Shirloo

Thanks Scott;

We do use LIPO, LI-ION and LiFEpo4 in our hobby and am familiar with the safety vs. energy storage, weight, # of cycles differences. I agree that that LiFepo4 would be the safest choice out of the group and most likely provide the highest number of cycles. It is probably the heaviest of the group, which would not be an issue on a displacement cruising yacht.

I look forward to your findings and opinion. We just replaced our AGM batteries last year and will most likely try to go Lithium for our next bank switch over which hopefully will not be for another 3 years plus. I would assume that would be plenty of time for the industry to work out any bugs in the system and technology, as applies to cruising yachts.

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott SV Tengah via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, August 7, 2019 1:59 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Amel is going lithium

Mohammad,

Both Victron, which I have and Mastervolt use lifepo4 chemistry, a much safer (but less energy dense) technology than the lithium ion that is more common. I don't know much about RC planes, but I assume for weight, they'd go with the lithium ion, which is far more prone to catching fire and when they do have thermal runaway, burn much hotter and are likely to ignite adjacent cells.

I'll write about my thoughts on safety in a later post. I'm sure you know about the relative safety of lifepo4, but here's a FAA fire hazard analysis done on the various battery types as they are often used in real airplanes. I read this last year before I was contemplating adding lithium to my boat.

Lifepo4 is shown to be safer than the other lithium chemistries. 

https://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/TC-16-17.pdf

While safer, it's not without risk. Then again, neither is lead acid as I personally know the owner of an Amel who experienced an unexplained lead acid battery bank explosion. Luckily no one was sleeping on the passage berth at the time.

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.