Wintering in potentially freezing conditions, watermaker?

Dean Gillies

Hi folks,
We will be wintering ashore this year at Ardrossan, Scotland where there is a possibility of subzero temperatures and I intend to take measures to combat possible damage due to freezing. I’ve never wintered in such conditions, so it’s a new process for me. I’m comfortable with the obvious stuff like empty water tanks, drain lines, anti-freeze in engine/gen raw water coolant lines etc.

One area that is puzzling me a little is the watermaker system. I’m thinking about some kind of non-toxic antifreeze solution?

What do others with such potentially sub-zero wintering conditions do with their watermakers?

Many thanks
Dean
SY Stella A54-154
Islay