Re: Amel is going lithium

ngtnewington Newington

Hi Scott,
I am full of admiration for your bold step into Lithium. I was tempted two and a bit years ago when I bought Amelia but I decided I wanted to go with Firefly AGM carbon foam but then I simply could not get them fast enough for my cruising itinerary so I went Lifeline AGM and 530w solar as well as  two Rutland 1200 wind generators.
I am happy with my set up but you have taken that next step...well done.
I am curious, the one thing that I can not get without generator or main engine is HOT WATER....
Do you use the inverter to power the immersion hot water??? Does that add up with your general battery management regime?
I really get the washing machine and general day to day stuff and an  amazed you can run one aircon unit and still not be running the generator for long.
Nick
Amelia (AML 54-019)
Preveza, Greece

On 7 Aug 2019, at 10:05, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

Hi Scott;

Very impressive numbers. I am familiar the Lithium battery technology and all the benefits you mention, since we have been using it in giant scale radio control airplane models (Up to 60% scale) for years.

The one major issue with lithium that has prevented us from making the change to Lithium on Kokomo, has been safety. There have been many cases of these batteries burning down models as well as houses, when the fire happened to occur in the house.

In most cases the issue has been misuse or equipment failure, that has led to overcharge/discharge but some that seem to have been without any external input and not during usage  As far as I have observed, , once the fire starts, it cannot be extinguished with standard firefighting equipment. It basically seems to need to burn itself out.

Do you know which lithium technology Mastervolt uses? (Lithium Polymer, ION, LIFE, or ?) Did you ever happen to address the safety and evaluate the hazards with this technology? What was your conclusion and how do you view the hazards associated with these batteries?

I would also be interested in seeing a picture of your solar setup, if you have one. Thanks for posting all the useful information and data.

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099