Re: Amel is going lithium

islandpearl2_sm2k332

Hi Scott

Really interesting thread, thank you. We are following with interest.

After we met you at the Caribbean Amel Rally 2019 we took a late decision to do the Pacific this year, and end our circumnavigation in Nov 2019 instead of 2010. After this, we will probably sell Island Pearl II, but if we do not sell and decide to go around again instead, then adding Lithium batteries will certainly be the last of many upgrade steps to Island Pearl II. Based on this I would also be most interested in getting a copy of your upcoming Lithium report.

On Island Pearl II we have 1040w of solar, run through three separate solar controllers, plus two Rutland 1200 wind gens, and we now seldom use the genset. We have the same 100 Duo watermaker as you, plus do all cooking on our induction stove which is so much nicer than gas cooking. Gas is only for oven baking which we seldom do. To improve washing efficiency we recently upgraded the Amel supplied "Thompson" washing machine to a new "Bosch" as that comes with better cleaning and efficiency, and particularly has a dedicated special "cold water" washing cycle for doing our washing from batteries only.

As we near the end of our circumnavigation, we are now pretty close to running the boat "off the grid", but I have always thought that the final piece to the puzzle would be Lithium batteries, so look forward to reading your article and learning from your experiences.

By the way, in addition, I remain a total convert to the need for at least two good wind generators on any boat in order to reach a total off the grid experience. Litium could become the trup card that proves me wrong on this but I doubt it. These units are so now so quiet, that (other than visually) they go almost unnoticed. When one considers 50% of time is in darkness, and at least another 5% each per early morning and late afternoon low sun angle, leaves only 40% max (and that is on a sunny day!) with good solar production. Yes solar output completely outstrips that of wind power ten times over, but we would never again be without at least two latest models, high-efficiency good quality wind gen units aswell, which, for example, on night crossings on a beam reach, I often watch putting out 6amp each constantly, and then at anchor on cloudy/windy days (27 - 33kts) push out over 10amps each (x24v of course).

Watching with interest

Colin Streeter
SV Island Pearl II, sm #332
Niue, Pacific

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 9:34 AM Scott SV Tengah <sv.tengah@...> wrote:
Paul,

I can't really predict for you, but I would guess as long as you spend most of your time around 50% and don't let it drop below 30% very often, the 15-20 year lifetime sounds very realistic.

Keep in mind that ONE over voltage or ONE under voltage condition can irreversibly damage the cell and likely the battery. That's why the BMS is there but all the charging sources need to be able to cut off charging once the BMS tells them to do so. And if any of the cell voltages drop below the safe level per the BMS, there should be an automatic disconnect of all the loads. Given the way Amels are wired, this last part has been a struggle for me.

You ideally should keep it at 40-50% while its wintered. Whatever you do, don't keep it at 100%. The Victron chargers don't have a direct way to specify target SOC, so I had to find a workaround.

--
ScottĀ
2007 A54 #69

--