Re: “Default” anchor arrangement on an Amel 54

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hi everyone,

We have a 35KG ULTRA.  In 4 years of anchoring, it has never dragged.  We also purchased their swivel and claw.  The swivel enables the anchor to enter the chocks right side up.  Being SS, it adds a nice artistic touch to your bow and a bigger hole in your wallet… :-)

If I had a 54/55 instead of an SM, I’d probably go to their 45KG unit.

Shared opinion above.  :-)

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, Fiji.

On 10 Aug 2019, at 07:38, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:

Dear Forum,

I am aware this is a never ending discussion but is it just me or is the standard anchor arrangement on an Amel 54 (Delta on port side, Buegel on starbord side) not the greatest?
Specifically the Buegel anchor sits quite poorly on the bow, I think. Just to entertain myself I decided to swap the two anchors over to see how that would fit. I noticed the Delta sat much better on the starboard side and the Buegel still sat poorly on the port side. I still need to swap the rollers to see if that makes a difference.
I accept the argument dat the Buegel is a better anchor then the Delta, although many boats carry a Delta anchor.
So my question is what did my fellow A54 owners do to improve the situation at the bow, if anything.
I'm considering to buy a Spade anchor to replace the Buegel anchor.

The other thing I noticed is that this fancy swivel is a pain to remove. In my case all the locking screws are impossible to remove, even after heating the thing. These screws are so small that you will wreck an allen-key if you put some force to it (and yes I do use proper allen-keys). In the end I also had to drill out the chain-locking pin as it also was completely seized and would not budge. Very disappointing. I'm going to replace this with a more rugged model (Kong or Mantus).

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121