Re: [Amel] outhaul and main furling gear box

Mike Ondra

Pat,

After pulling the shafts, the main furling and outhaul gear boxes are
identical. I am curious if the jib furling gearbox is the same as
well in regards to stocking a spare.

Anyway, still not resolved on obtaining the replacements I need. The
main furler gear teeth were almost completely worn away and the
outhaul gears looked new. Not surprising considering the relative
load on each. My plan is to replace both, keeping the outhaul gearbox
as the spare after rebuilding.

Our local Bonfiglioli rep in Hatfield, PA has not been able to nail
down the part number for the gearbox even after many pictures and the
numbers from the pre 1998 model being sent to Italy. He also projects
a 16-20 week shipping time.

I will be in northern Spain in early March, and without confirmation
of avaialability and reasonable shipping time from Bonfiglioli, will
head up to La Rochelle and pick up what I need directly from Amel.
They want 540 euro each, pluse 17.5% VAT. Seems like a lot for what
this is. It would be nice to at least find out what they would cost
direct from Bonfiglioli.

So if you would like me to pick one up for you, just let me know. Had
a good night's sleep on Aletes last night resting in the icy
Sassafras and wondered where Shenanagans was.

Mike
Aletes SM 240

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, sailw32@... wrote:

Mike, My gearbox has Bonifiglioli stamped on the side, so they are
clearly
built by them.You described your gearbox as square where my
gearbox I would
probably describe as round.Your boat is several years newer, I
don't know if
perhaps they are different or we are just describing them
differently. Since
UPS lost my gearbox I've done nothing on my end. It sounds as
though you are
on the same tack with your Hatfield rep so I will wait and see
what you come
up with. I am not sure, is the outhaul and mainsail furler
gearbox's identical
as far as shaft sizes ?Are they interchangeable? I'll send you a
photo of
my old furler gearbox, let me know if it appears different from
yours. Thanks
Pat

In a message dated 1/12/2009 8:48:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
mdondra@... writes:

I thought we were in luck when I found a Bonfiglioli distributor
within
a half hour drive from home in Hatfield, PA. And with damage to
one
bearing, the seals, the worm gear itself, and the housing fairly
corroded, I figured time to replace the whole thing rather than
rebuild. With the support of Robin Cooter's part numbers and
digital
picturs of the one we're working on, the local rep cannot make
sense of
Robin's numbers and has not been able to find a Bonfiglioli
gearbox
that anyone in the US recognizes as similar to the pictures. They
expect it will be a week or two until Italy looks at the
information
and determines if indeed it is a Bonfiglioli and if they indeed
still
carry them.

Has anyone a part number on the square shaped gearboxes used on
the SM
and are they indeed Bonfiglioli (or other) in manufacture? US
Source?

Pat, how has your gearbox story developed?

Mike Ondra
Aletes SM 240

_Messages in this topic _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/message/4693;_ylc=X3oDM
TM0MGs2ZGg2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUwMzYyMjUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMx
NzA1MDY1NzkyBG1zZ0lkAzQ2OTMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMjMxODExMz
EzBHRwY0
lkAzQ2OTM-) (1) _Reply (via web post) _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJwYTVjc
XYyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUwMzYyMjUEZ3Jwc3B
JZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBG1zZ0lkAzQ2OTMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMjMxO
DExMzEz?
act=reply&messageNum=4693) | _Start a new topic _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlbGtmY
W12BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUwMzYy
MjUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTIzMTgxMT
MxMw--)
_Messages_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJlc
3I5MzVjBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUwMzYyMjUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBHN
lYwNm
dHIEc2xrA21zZ3MEc3RpbWUDMTIzMTgxMTMxMw--) | _Files_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJmdTV0
dGQwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUw
MzYyMjUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2ZpbGVzBHN0aW1lAzEyMz
E4MTEzMT
M-) | _Photos_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/photos;_ylc=X3oDMTJlamV
2OTZ0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUwMzYyMjUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBHNl
YwNmdHIEc2xrA3Bob3QEc3RpbWUDMTIzMTgxMTMxMw--) | _Links_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/links;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbnJy
cWd2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElk
AzUwMzYyMjUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2xpbmtzBHN0aW1lAz
EyMzE4MT
EzMTM-) | _Database_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/database;_ylc=X3oDMTJjY
3Yzb2liBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUwMzYyMjUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1
NzkyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2RiBHN0aW1lAzEyMzE4MTEzMTM-) | _Polls_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/polls;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbnFw
ZzFxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdy
cElkAzUwMzYyMjUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3BvbGxzBHN0aW
1lAzEyMz
E4MTEzMTM-) | _Members_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJlN2
QxaTdkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUwMzYyMjUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MD
Y1NzkyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA21icnMEc3RpbWUDMTIzMTgxMTMxMw--) |
_Calendar_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/calendar;_ylc=X3oDMTJkZ
HBidjA5BF9TAzk3
MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUwMzYyMjUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2
NhbARzdG
ltZQMxMjMxODExMzEz)

MARKETPLACE

____________________________________
_From kitchen basics to easy recipes - join the Group from Kraft
Foods _
(http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13rkofv4h/M=493064.12016295.13271503.1083
5568/D=gro
ups/S=1705065792:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1231818513/L=/B=ItzCF0PDhEg-
/J=1231811313234
243/A=5530388/R=0/SIG=11nuutlas/*http://explore.yahoo.com/groups/kraft
mealsmad
esimple/)

kAzUwMzYyMjUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxM
jMxODExMzEz)
_Change settings via the Web_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJmdmRtY
WFsBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUwMzYyMjUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1
MDY1NzkyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3N0bmdzBHN0aW1lAzEyMzE4MTEzMTM-) (Yahoo!
ID
required)
Change settings via email: _Switch delivery to Daily Digest_
(mailto:amelyachtowners-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email
Delivery: Digest) | _Switch
format to Traditional_
(mailto:amelyachtowners-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change
Delivery Format: Traditional)
_Visit Your Group _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners;_ylc=X3oDMTJkcnNqZ2dyBF
9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUwMzYyMjUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyB
HNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwZgRzdGltZQMxMjMxODExMzEz) | _Yahoo! Groups Terms
of Use _
(http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/) | _Unsubscribe _

Recent Activity
* 3
_New Members_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmNW
pmcmZwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUwMzYyMjUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBHNl
wN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEyMzE4MTEzMTM-)
* 2
_New Photos_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/spnew;_ylc=X3oDMTJmdG9j
bGZiBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUwMzYyMjUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBHNlYw
N2
dGwEc2xrA3ZwaG90BHN0aW1lAzEyMzE4MTEzMTM-)
* 1
_New Files_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJnbnBr
MjFzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUwMzYyMjUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBHNlYw
N2d
GwEc2xrA3ZmaWxlcwRzdGltZQMxMjMxODExMzEz)

_Visit Your Group _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZzhzbWIzBF
9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUwMzYyMjUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkyBHNlYwN
2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTIzMTgxMTMxMw--)

Yahoo! News
_Fashion News_
(http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13ocnoslq/M=493064.12016309.12445701.8674
578/D=groups/S=1705065792:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1231818513/L=/B=I9zCF0PDhEg-/
J=1231811313234243/A=3848621/R=0/SIG=12u6o6g3h/*http://news.yahoo.com/
i/1597;_
ylt=A9FJqa5Gxa5E2jgAYQKVEhkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA2MnU4czRtBHNlYwNzbg--)
What's the word on
fashion and style?

Yahoo! Finance
_It's Now Personal_
(http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13ol34h5c/M=493064.12016257.12445664.8674
578/D=groups/S=1705065792:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1231818513/L=/B=JNzCF0PD
hEg-
/J=1231811313234243/A=4507179/R=0/SIG=12de4rskk/*http://us.rd.yahoo.co
m/ev
t=50284/*http://finance.yahoo.com/personal-finance)
Guides, news,
advice & more.

John McEnroe
_on Yahoo! Groups_
(http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13os6697b/M=493064.12016283.12445687.8674
578/D=groups/S=1705065792:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1231818513/L=/B=JdzCF0PDh
Eg-
/J=1231811313234243/A=5202321/R=0/SIG=11aijbghb/*http://new.groups.yah
oo.co
m/allbrangroup)