Re: Watermaker motor

Denis Elborn

Thanks for your input.

Before taking the motor out I removed one of the brushes and the armature seemed pretty dirty so I cleaned that up and it is working at the moment, probably could do with a set of brushes as well.

Thanks again for your help

Aventura A54~113
Den and Julie

On 1 Aug 2019, at 2:07 am, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Gary,

Automotive solenoids are not usually isolated ground solenoids. I would

check it. Automotive solenoids usually have the negative side connected internally to the mounting ears. If this is the case you defeat the isolated ground on your boat.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gary Wells
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 10:28 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Watermaker motor

Similar scenario while we were underway.  I managed to get that DC motor free and on to the cockpit floor.  There were four little hard rubber covers that held the brushes in place and when I pried them open the black dust that came out was phenomenal. 

I used a spray-air can (duster) and some spray electrical contact cleaner to clean it up and it worked fine for a couple of weeks until I could get it to a re-builder in St. Thomas(USVI).

One note; if you take it to a re-builder they may try to sell you a new relay.  At least in my case the fellow was a skilled auto mechanic but didn't understand why the unit wouldn't work when case-grounded so he wired up a whole new automotive type solenoid.  I didn't get too far trying to explain it to him, but eventually he let me take the motor back and didn't charge me for the relay. I wired the thing back up properly (take pictures!) and it's worked perfectly since then (about a year now).

Gary W.
sv Adagio, SM 209
Maryland, USA

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.