Re: Engine alignment

John Clark

Hi David,
  So was the vibration present before the alternator issue?

I am trying to envision how the loose alt would affect alignment?

Absent a problem caused as you suspect by the alternator issue, I would first inspect the prop, the motor mounts, C-Drive mounts, vetus coupling and also the status of the motor.

Regarding motor, no chance that it is not running 100%?  Load might make a weak cylinder more evident.

Regards, John
SV Annie SM 37

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 5:22 AM david bruce <davidcbruce57@...> wrote:
Hello all,

We are in Gaeta Italy where mechanics are trying to alleviate a mild but distinct engine vibration noted under load.  I'd rather not go into how this occurred but suffice it to say that moving a boat a few hundred meters at idle to a travel lift minus the stb forward alternator bracket in place is not a good idea.  (bracket was being welded after breaking and landing alt on spinning spline pulley)

 Our well intentioned but seemingly flummoxed non English speaking mechanics have us decoupled ( engine/transmission, not marriage) and best I can tell are ruminating on a fix.  I absolutely don't want to make matters worse.

Any advice on what to do or advise them or what specifically NOT to do at this point would be greatly appreciated.  i think finding someone with significant Amel experience nearby is highly unlikely.

Thanks so much for any advisement.

Best regards,

Dave Bruce
sv Liesse   SN006