Re: “Default” anchor arrangement on an Amel 54

ngtnewington Newington

Hi Arno,
I have only been using the Spade a couple of weeks. So far so good. Actually last night we anchored at Kalamos in a rather exposed place and it kicked up 25kn with several miles fetch. We were stern to the shore in 15m but I had 70m out. We left in the morning and that Spade was quite hard to break out.  The stern line never went slack.
In my opinion the Spade is a vast improvement on the Beugel, not just the design but 20% heavier.
As for the Beugel I have to agree with you. Firstly it has a poor surface area, secondly it will not keep burying, and thirdly 30kg is undersized for a 54 ft 20 ton boat.
On the plus side it generally always went in with that sharp point and it is still a good anchor.
I think Amel should either up the size or shift to a more modern anchor be or a Rocna, or Spade, or Mantus whatever....
Nick
Amelia
Anchored stern to Kioni
AML54-019

On 12 Aug 2019, at 15:49, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply. Great to see an Amel that actually uses the Spade. Your additional roller is very clever, it seems to really improve things.
I did notice the Buegel sitting not too great on the port side and is fouling the middle part where the snubber line goes when at anchor.

Yesterday I was reading some copies of anchor tests that Spade has on its website. No surprise the Spade came out best but what I found more interesting that the Delta also outperforms the Buegel in several of the tests. I really struggle with the reasoning that Amel selected the Buegel for all those years. To me it seems the surface of the anchor is quite small compared to other anchors in the same class. Although the surface area of the anchor alone does not make a good anchor it is quite important once the anchor has set.

So how do you like the Spade?

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,