Re: Amel is going lithium

ngtnewington Newington

image1.jpeg
I have two Rutland 1200’s on Amelia mounted on the Solar Arch/Dingy davits.
They have been good and are near silent. My complaint is that they produce a resonance that is heard in the aft cabin. Near silent in the cockpit even is strong winds.
The original idea was to have each Rutland and one solar panel connected to the Rutland controller, but I was not happy with that set up as the controller got hot, so I ended up buying a Blue Sky controller for the solar  and
sticking with a controller for each Rutland.
I think that they are pretty good value for money, but budget to buy separate a solar controller.
Nick
Amelia anchored Fiskardo
54-019

On 13 Aug 2019, at 11:17, islandpearl2_sm2k332 <colin.d.streeter@...> wrote:

Hi Eric

I am very happy with the Rutland 1200 wind gens, and had researched these quite fully when we purchased back in April 2017. At that time all the reviews put them as one of the top three (Super Wind, D90, & Rutland 1200) but I would do the research again now, just to check if technology had advanced since, and if there are any better ones available in 2019? Obviously look at weight, output (at both low and high wind speeds), and particularly if it is still guaranteed at 45kts+ high wind speeds. Certainly, when I purchased, some were not covered for this and the Rutland 1200 was. The last thing you want when things are wild out there it to have to go out and tie-down the blades, especially if you put it on your mizzen mast!

Rutland had a two year warranty period when we purchased, and have now earned my respect since our two units have been faultless, other than the bearing in one unit (starboard side) did become noisy in a 50+ kts mid-Indian Ocean storm. I was not surprised (actually amazed the other one did not go too in those conditions!) but Rutland was excellent and fixed it, no questions asked, even though it was a year later and I informed them of the storm conditions. I had to ship it back to the UK, and they returned it to me with a new bearing installed when we reached South Africa.

The one issue we had with Rutland was that the controller unit which comes with these is supposed to also be a solar controller. That feature could have been handy for us as we added more solar in Thailand and then again in the Caribbean, but when we tried to connect the new panels through the Rutland solar side of the controller we could not get it to work. I have since heard of another Amel having the same issue, possibly that was SV Perigree?

Best of luck with it Eric. If you install wind gens, you will no doubt also learn to love windy anchorages at night!  Finally I would certainly say do not bother to put just one unit one on your boat. To make it worthwhile two is far better, in fact, although it would look ridiculous, I would be sorely tempted to add a third unit if we do not sell and decide to do another lap of the world!

Colin Streeter
SV Island Pearl II
Niue.

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 8:15 PM eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote: